The Stockport PR1 protected repeater is located in the grounds of the telephone exchange in Hempshaw Lane, Stockport. 8 PR1 & PR2 repeaters were built between 1951 and 1956. Each consists of a two level bunker with heavy blast doors. The bunkers are semi-sunken with the main distribution frames and repeater equipment and ventilation plant on the upper level above ground and more plant including standby generators and a high voltage sub station located in the lower floor below ground. The building appears used and in good condition.
Those taking part in the visit were Nick Catford, Keith Ward, and John Fogg.