Originally built as a Chain Home radar station the site was fully operational by April 1939. It is the only Chain Home site that still operates as a radar station, although the CH station was replaced for Linesman/Mediator in 1964.
As a ROTOR site it was classified as an R12.
The site remains in use as a Remote Radar Head (RRH)for the UK Air Surveillance and Control System (UKASACS).
The ROTOR site was open as a museum for several years.