On top of Round Hill 250 yards north of Crimore Road
DEMOLISHED The post was closed in the 1980’s for security reasons and was replaced by Portadown which was re-opened to replace it. The post has been demolished. A cellphone site was built in an adjoining field - not on the site of the ROC post.
In 1972 the Lurgan post was broken into by persons unknown and set on fire. Items for monitoring nuclear explosions and radio equipment was stolen. A few weeks later a routine Army patrol found an arms cache in a ditch roughly a mile from the post site. As well as numerous weapons and ammunition they also recovered two items of equipment that they did not recognise.
New of the arms find reached the local press and the Lurgan Mail printed a photo in its October 1972 edition. Chief Observer Tom Kennedy saw the photo and immediately called Lurgan RUC station to identify the items. He then had to travel to RAF Aldergrove to reclaim them.
Opened in 1957 and closed before 1991.