On a low mound at the end of a line of telegraph poles on Popeley Fields on the north side of a public footpath beside a new farm building. 300 yards east of Oxford Road (A651)
LOCKED There is evidence of a small rectangular compound with metal railings now cut off at ground level. All surface features remain intact with some flaking of the white paint. The top of the ventilation shaft has been broken off and as the bottom photograph (taken a year after the inspection) shows the damage is now worse. The access shaft has been reconstructed with a new larger hatch (Torlift) fitted. The hatch is locked but there is no security plug so it can be opened with a Torlift key or a large screwdriver. Internally there is severe fire damage with the table, shelf, cupboard, two chairs and a mattress remaining.
Opened in 1959 and closed in 1991.