Beneath a shop on Guildford High Street are the remains of what is thought to be a medieval synagogue. It is beneath a building that dates from around 1180 and is thought to have been demolished towards the end of the following century.
The site was discovered in 1995 and subject to an excavation by local archaeologists. If the dating and site purpose are correct then it is the oldest synagogue in the British Isles. The cuurent synagogue in the town now contains a stone from the much earlier structure.