The air-raid shelters at Kenley were built by Surrey County Council in 1941. The entrance was via an existing chalk pit. Formal opening took place in June 1942. The capcity was as per the design, at 1,500 shelterers, at a cost of £8-14s per person. It was suggested that the shelter could be extended to compensate for other shelters that were abandoned or reduced in size but this did not take place.
Post war, thery were occupied for many years by Optical Surfaces Ltd, manufacturers of fine optics for telescopes and scientific instruments.