An underground reservoir at Clayton-le-Woods was built in 1883, to the east of Back Lane. The reservoir was brick built and had fine vaulting, typical of the period; it held 300,000 gallon. An associated pumping station was also constructed. When demand for water increased, a larger reservoir was built in 1940 to the west of Back Lane. The earlier Victorian structure remained as back-up. This continued to be the case until 2013 when the site was purchased by Kingswood Homes and the reservoir sadly demolished. Attempts to get the reservoir listed failed.