The Casemate Esch is a fortified part of the Maginot Line, protecting the Alsace Plain between the Vosges Mountains and the River Rhine. Although untouched in the German invasion of 1940, it saw extensive action and sustained damage during the German Nordwind offensive of 1945.
It comprises twin heavy machine guns plus two anti-tank weapons. Half of the bunker has been restored to its fighting condition and the other half has an exhibition about its history. The damage is still visible and in tributre to the American Forces, the roof now houses an M4 Sherman Tank.
The site is open, usually on summer Sundays but group visits can be arranged in advance.