Canda Dock station was connected to the Liverpool and Manchestr Railway by the LNWR Bootle branch. The branch opened in October 1866. At the eastern and of the line, a short tunnel was built to pass beneath the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The line saw sporadic passneger use alongside freight movements but the former ceased after air-raid damage in May 1941.
The tunnel was 427 yards long and double track. The line closed in September 1982 and the tunnel became disused. The western portion of the tunnel was back-filled. The eastern portal was not backfilled but is heavily overgrown.