In wooded compound south of East Street just east of Wooddale Lane
LOCKED Externally the post is in poor condition with the top of the ventilation shaft demolished. The FSM probe pipe is mounted on top of a small concrete plinth. The post was first sold by public tender in 1993, 25 years after closure, it’s unclear why the Home Office retained it for so long. The access shaft has been rebuilt, presumably while the post was still in use and a new (non standard) hatch fitted. It is very heavy and difficult to open. The hatch was welded shut when first visited in 1997 but by March 1999 the weld had been cut off and the hatch was open, it has now been locked. Internally the post is a mess, full of rubbish and 9" deep in water. Twin bunks and a single bed remain but the bunks have been separated. The post is due to be sold in 2003
Opened in 1958 and closed in 1968.