Warren Street station was first opened in 1907 as Euston Road as part of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway. The name was changed to Warren Street in 1908 but the original name can still be seen on the platform tiles on what is now the Northern Line. The surface building was rebuilt to a Charles Holden design in 1933, when escalators were installed.
The Victoria Line routes through Warren Street and its platforms opened in 1968. A curious feature of Warren Street is that the Victoria Line is right-hand running at this point. This is in order to achieve a cross-platform interchange with the Northern Line (Bank branch)at Euston - the following station. (Both lines are travelling roughly east/west at Euston but the northbound trains are travelling in opposite directions). As there is insufficent room to swing the tracks over between Warren Street and Euston, the switch instead takes place between Warren Street and Oxford Circus.