A seven storey fire control tower stands at the rear of Grand Parade in Tynemouth. It was built during WW2 to control the fire from Spanish Battery and Castle Battery and worked in coordination with the main Tyne fire command post at Castle Battery.
The tower remained in use post war until the stand down of coastal artillery in 1956. The main fire command post within the Tynemouth Castle grounds was used by the coastguard until their new station was built in the 1990’s obliterating both the battery and the command post.
The fire control tower which is accessed from the narrow Back Percy Gardens has been converted into a private dwelling.
- Keith Ward