In July 1927 a scheme to link Tilmanstone Colliery to the Eastern Arm of Dover Harbour by way of a 7.5 mile aerial ropeway was approved and construction commenced shortly after. The idea behind the project was to enable coal to be transported at a lower rate than that charged by the railway. Twin tunnels, 400 feet long, were driven through the cliffs from Langdon Hole to just above the Eastern Arm of the Dover Docks.
Originally the ropeway was intended to go round the edge of the cliff but it was decided that bringing it through the cliff would cause fewer problems despite the additional cost. Because of the geography, the tunnels contained a 90 degree change of angle near the exit above the port.
The Ropeway ran between 1930 and the outbreak of war in 1939 and was dismantled around 1949. Even during the years of the ropeway’s operation, much of the output of the colliery contnued to be carried by rail. Today all entrances are sealed.