Storråberget is part of Hemsö fortress that was built between 1953 and 1957. It houses three doubled barrelled 15.2 cmm artillery pieces which had a range of around 20 kilometres. Anti-aircraft and grenade launchers were also included to protect the site.
The complex was entirely underground and had facilities for 320 men to live for several weeks if not months safe from nuclear fallout. These facilities included dormitories, kitchens, water supplies, air handling and even a small hospital.
The site was closed in 1989 and since then a local group has maintained the site. Guided tours of the excellently preserved bunker are available in summer months.