Snape Hill Mine, also known as Scrag Oak, was mined for iron ore for just over a year between 1857 and 1858. Although iron mining in the area had mostly been abandoned by this date, the building of a railway line from Tunbridge Wells to Hastings exposed a seam of iron ore that was obviously considered worth pursuing.
Small mines were excavated on both sides of the railway line and in (unfulfiled) anticipation of a long line of income, the local pub enterprisingly changed its name to The Miners' Arms. The mines were excavated and recorded in 2000 by members of the Kent Underground Research Group (KURG). Both mines were waterlogged and blocked with clay but hard work opened them up.
KURG found adits north and south of the railway, each about 150 metres long. Some artefacts remained including trackwork and grafitti. The entrances were secured with access for bats; it is likely that the southern mine is now once again flooded.