Rumelange Mining Museum is located on the site of four former iron ore mines - Walert, Kirchberg, Langengrund and Rembour-Vor Hasselt. The periods of operation of this group date from the 1880s to the 1970s. Open cast as well as underground extraction was undertaken. In 1906, almost 7,000 miners were employed in Luxembourg and by 1913 the country was among the top ten producers of iron ore and pig iron in the world.
In 1973 the National Mining Museum was first opened by a group of local miners. After several expansions, it is now supported by the local town council and the Ministry of Tourism. The museum’s collections include geological samples, mining equipment and published works. Exhibits relating to miners' lives are also included.
One highlight of a visit is to take an underground train ride through the former workings. There is the opportunity to walk through some of the workings during the tour. Many of the museum’s buildings are in former mining offices and workshops. These include a fine restaurant in a building that dates from 1900, one of whose specialities is the ‘Miner’s Lunch Box’ (Gamelle du Mineur) which is an all-in-one goulash type stew.