Newton Noyes Farm was purchased by the Royal Navy in the mid 1930s and work started on the construction of a depot for the manufacture and storage of mines. The site had a standard gauge railway connection (over a swing bridge) and also used the steamer pier which dated from 1872. Transport within the complex used a metre gauge railway.
As well as massive armament sheds, 6 underground magazines were excavated. These comprise entrance tunnels which open out into a large storage area. These chambers measure 28.6m x 10.5m with an arched roof measuring 8.2m at its highest point. There are also loading platforms and a 10 ton overhead crane. Just before the magazine chamber is a small shifting lobby for changing into magazine clothing.
During World War II, the mines from Newton Noyes were used to lay minefields guarding the western approaches. Later in the war the site supplied the Mediterranean Fleet. The closure of the site was announced in the 1980s and the site sold to Petroplus but it was not redeveloped. The site is now owned by the local authority.