Ram Hill Colliery dates from around 1830 and was at the heart of the North Bristol Coalfield. It only worked to about 1860 and the remains on site are surprisingly complete.
The remains include the mineshaft itself and adjacent buildings for a horse gin and steam winding engine. The mine was one of the last to be built to use horse transport and is situated at the end of an early railway line known as the Dramway.
The site is owned by South Gloucestershire Council and is a scheduled monument - one of a small number of coal mines to receive this level of protection. Visits to the site can be arranged through the Friends of Ram Hill Colliery.