This ice house was built to serve Pinner Hill House and was listed as a scheduled monument in 2000.
The Historic England Listing for this site notes: “The monument includes a brick built ice house with attached passageway and larder located some 70m to the north east of Pinner Hill House, formerly a private residence and now the club house for the Pinner Hill Golf Course.
The ice house is of the ‘cup and dome’ variety and largely subterranean. Only the top of the dome, a brick hemisphere with a tapered central aperture, is visible above ground, standing just proud of the surrounding lawn. The ice chamber (or cup) beneath is cylindrical, 2.79m in width and 3.66m high, and surrounded by a double thickness of brick. The floor is also brick, laid with a slight fall towards a terracotta grating and drain hole at the centre. The passageway enters the ice chamber about half way up the west side, and is approximately 1.8m high with a barrel vaulted roof set just below the present ground surface. The passage has rebates for three doorways and continues westwards for approximately 4m before entering a small infilled chamber measuring some 2 sq m. This is thought to have been the basement of an ornate clock tower erected in 1869 (and demolished in 1961), from which a further passage extended south and west around an ornamental pond to enter the service quarters of the 19th century house. The service passage has collapsed or been infilled. Its precise location remains unknown, and it is not included in the scheduling.
The ice chamber and the short passage to the tower basement were examined by the Pinner Local History Society in 1984, who, once a mass of accumulated silt and modern debris was removed, were able to complete a detailed structural survey.
The ice house incorporates some early 19th century brick. This, however, may reflect the reuse of existing stock since it is believed to be broadly contemporary with the clock tower, one of the many estate buildings commissioned by Arthur William Tooke, owner of Pinner Hill House from 1844 to 1871. A sale prospectus from 1920 makes no reference to the existence of the ice house, and it is therefore probable that it had ceased to function by this time.”