Pechersk Lavra (which translates as Cave Monastery) in Kiev is a monastery complex that dates back to the eleventh century. Above ground are some splendid churches and the grounds now also house a number of museums. Below ground are a series of underground passages, probably extended from what were once natural caves.
The caves contain loiving quarters and chapels and include around 100 burials, including some saints. The original caves were settled by a monk names Anthony in 1051 and are today known as the Far Caves. Anthony moved to a new area around 1057 which is now known as the Near Caves; these extend to around 400 metres in length.
In 1990 the whole monastery complex was inscribed onto the World Heritage List. The monastery is a popular tourist attraction and the caves can be visited and explored by candlelight.