The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont is a public park in Paris which extends to about 25 hectares. Its name derives from ‘bald mountain, believed to be a consequence of the minerals that were once exploited on the site. These were predominantly gypsum, used in construction, the location giving rise to its alternative name as ‘Plaster of Paris’.
The former mining site was converted to this splendid park in 1867 and some of the former mines converted to a massive grotto, complete with (pump-fed) internal waterfall. The grotto is up to 20 metres high and has artificial stalagtites and other decoration within.