On a low mound in a small rectangular compound alongside a track to an open cast mine three hundred yards west of B743.
LOCKED All surface features remain intact but the green paint is flaking badly and the hatch is rusty. A metal dome on the ventilation shaft indicates this was a master post. There is some damage to the top of the ventilation shaft which unusually has the GZI mounting on it. The hatch is locked internally but can be opened with a Scottish ‘T’ bar key. There is a smell of burning inside the post but no obvious fire damage. It has however been recently vandalised. There is a long table with shelves below it replacing the originals table and shelf. The original instrument table has been mounted on the wall next to where the cupboard stood. The cupboard is broken in half and lying on the floor. Other artifacts include the BPI mount, wiring, 2 chairs, fuse box, three mattresses and a low battery table. There is a shelf and a tool rack in the toilet recess. There is some damage to the top of the ventilation shaft. The hatch is open. Internally much remains including table, shelf, cupboard, mattresses, BPI mount, enamel no smoking sign, bucket, map, notices, wiring and various papers. A visit in August 2002 revealed that many of the internal artefacts had been brought to the surface abd were lying on the grass nearby.
Opened in 1959 and closed in 1991.