The Birkenhead Joint Railway was established to serve a riverside terminus in Birkenhead, from where a ferry connection would cross the River Mersey. a tunnel was required to reach the riverside and in 1844 the Monks Ferry tunnel of 371 yards was opened.
By the 1870s, demand had increased and alarger station was opened at Birkenhead Woodside. To serve this station a second double track tunnel was built, known as Woodside Tunnel.
Today, both tunnels are now redundant, partially infilled and gated.