When the Great Central Railway reached Marylebone Station in 1899, the final approach had been engineered by constructing three cut and cover tunnels beneath the Lords Cricket Ground. Not under the main playing surface, but to the east, beneath the so-called nursery ground.
Although only one of the tunnels was used, the other two were intended for expansion and had some use as sidings for the station. The expansion never happened and over recent yeras there have been many plans for the underground space, ranging from cricket nets to a dedicated bus route. Lords only own the top 18 inches of the ground but they declined an offer to buy the tunnels from Network Rail in 1999 and they are now in private hands.
Part of the northern extent of the tunnels are in use as a store by the Wellington Hospital and the rest await development if and when planning permission is gained.