The Llanymynech Limeworks Heritage Area is an industrial limworks complex centred around an enormous Hoffman Kiln. The site received limestone from the quarries in the hills above the town through tunnels via a gravity balanced inclines. Processed lime was then transported away by canal or railway, both of which were adjacent to the site.
A number of different structures are preserved and restored, but the focus is the Hoffman Kiln completed in 1899, which had a large oval structure so that it was possible to process limestone continuously - with one zone being loaded, another burning and another cooling and the whole sequence moving continuously round the circuit.
It proved uneconomic and the limeworks closed in 1914.
The site has been restored and preserved and it is encouraged to walk into and round the cavernous Hoffman Kiln as well. Interpretation panels are provided at various locations and it is possible to walk the inclines as they go through teh tunnel under the road and up the hill.