The two level bunker at Lansdown on the outskirts of Bath started off life as a Royal Artillery post war anti aircraft operations room for the Bristol GDA (2 Group, 14, Brigade). In 1959 it was taken over by the Royal Observer Corps as their Bristol (12) Group Headquarters. Since ROC stand down the blockhouse is has been used by the Avon Fire Brigade and is in good condition throughout.
The generator, which was installed in 1989 and plant rooms on the lower floor are still in use. The plant room still retains some of its original 1950’s brass dials.
The ROC control room and gallery are intact but have been converted into a lecture theatre. Many of the other rooms on both levels, including the kitchen are used for storage or are empty. Internally there is little reminder of ROC days. Externally there is a GZI mounting on a concrete plinth and BPI, and FSM pipes close together on the roof. In it’s last year the building also housed the Southern Area UKWMO Sector Operations Centre which moved there from Rudloe Manor where it had been (originally as Western Area) since 1937.