Originally opened in 1895 as a ‘super-pit’ it eventually closed in 1981. The site has been preserved as the National Museum of Mining and has an excellent collection of Victorian mine buildings and equipment. It also has the only extant timber dredger in Europe.
Only part of the 4 acre site is open as a museum but a visit includes either an audio guide or personally guided tour of the pit head. Underground access is not possible.
The museum also holds a large number of artefacts and photographs from mines elsewhere in Scotland.