This site is part of a second line of defence to engage Allied troops who had made it past the beach defences. The land bwetween the site and the beach was mined. Originally built as a coastal artillery site, it was passed to the infantry in 1942.
The Sechsschartentürm (six loophole machine gun post) on the well-camouflaged site has been restored by the Channel Island Occupation Society (CIOS) and is occasionally open for public visits. It was armed with two MG 34 machine guns with a rate iof fire of 800 rounds per minute. The protective turret weighed a mighty 50 tons.
The site takes its name from a nearby water mill that was ironically demolished by the Germans to improve the field of fire of the machine guns.