On a field boundary 100 yards west of North Marsh Road
OPEN Considering the early closure date the green paint is in unusually good condition. The hatch and ventilation louvres are missing otherwise the post is externally in good condition. Internally the post is free of vandalism but has been almost completely stripped with only a bed frame and some wiring remaining. Kilnsea is a resiting of the Spurn Head WW2 post. Spurn Head was sited at TA404114 and was the only post provided with barrack accommodation and staffed by a crew of seven full time observers. According to ‘Attack Warning Red’ the post closed in 1956 and an underground post was not built. This is clearly wrong as the post was resited and renamed Kilnsea.
A WW2 observation post can be seen in a wooded area nearby. Its purpose is unknown,
Closed in 1968