The Kent Mining Museum is a new museum, opened in April 2022 and transports visitors on a journey through the story of the East Kent coalfield spanning almost 100 years, from when coal was first discovered in 1890, to the closing of Betteshanger Colliery in 1989.
The museum exhibition spans two floors:
- A day in the life of a Kent miner – both at work and home
- The history of coal mining in Kent
- The geography of the East Kent coalfield
- The importance of coal through the years
- Geology – looking at how coal is formed
Highlights include a ‘journey’ of mine cars from Tilmanstone Colliery, an interactive Dosco Roadheader, original tools and clothing, and most importantly, the history of the coalfield told through voices of the people who lived and worked here.