Built in the Cold War between 1952 and 1957, Katarinaberget - Katarina’s mountain – is Sweden’s largest nuclear shelter. It could accommodate over 20,000 people and had bunks for 5,000. It consists of three levels on top of each other that in peace time would be used for car parking. It is one of a number of similkar shelters in downtown Stockholm.
The huge site has two main vehicular entrances and 11 pedestrian access points. Some of the latter would be hidden beneath shallow soil in public squares until the shelter was occupied. 200,000 kg of ice could be stored in basins to cool the site – hence the ‘Cold War’!.