Hyde Park Corner station opened on 15 December 1906 with a surface building on Knightsbridge; the design was by Leslie Green and finished as usual in ox-blood red tiles. When the Piccadilly Line was extended in the 1930s, the lift access was replaced by escalators and the surface building became redundant in 1932.
Access to the escalators and station is now from the Hyde Park Corner pedestrian subway/underpass and and the station is one of the few on the London Underground network without any surface structures. The lift shafts and access passageways still exist but without public access; the emergency stairs are still a designated emergency egress route.
The original surface building now forms the entrance to the Wellesley Hotel and the external tiling is well-preserved.