The Huskisson goods station was opened by the Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC) on 1 July 1880. The CLC was a joint railway consisting of three partners. The Great Northern Railway (GNR), the Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) and the Midland Railway (MR). Huskisson goods station was located on the east side of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) Liverpool - Preston railway. The Liverpool dock system which was the primary reason why the CLC opened a line to Huskisson was on the west side. In addition the MR had a goods station of its own on the west side of the LYR line called Sandon & Canada Dock Goods.
A connection from Huskisson to Sandon & Canada Dock and onwards to the docks was essential. The solution was to build a branch from Huskisson to Sandon & Canada. As the CLC line was at a much lower elevation than the LYR a tunnel was required to allow the branch to pass under the Liverpool and Preston line.
The branch opened on 1 November 1882. It remained in use until closed by British Railways on 24 February 1969. When visited in January 2013 the west portal was found to be completely bricked up. The east portal was bricked up but had been provided with a steel door.