Highgate Station on the Great Northern Railway was opened in 1867; it lies on the line netween Finsbury Park and Edgware. It closed in 1954 but the tracks remained in use for some years to access sidings.
The station is in a cutting and is sandwiched between two tunnels - Highgate East which measures 140 yards and Highgate West at 330 yards. The tunnels are both twin single bore. They now form important bat habitats. The tunnels can occasionally be visited as part of the London Transport Museum’s Hidden London tours.