Haig Colliery in Whitehaven was sunk in 1914 and production finally ceased in 1986. Over its life around 48,000,000 tonnes of coal were extracted - this was anthracitic coal, mostly used for coking. Much of the mine was up to 6 kilometres out under the Irish Sea.
After closure, an excellent museum opened on the site, which included a steam winding engine converetd to run on compressed air. Sadly the museum closed permanently in 2016 due to funding issues.