Grove Colliery was sunk between 1853 and 1856 and supplied coal to the nearby Stepaside Ironworks. The hand-dug shaft reaches an impressive 640 feet and cost £30,000. The coal was moved by rail on the Saundersfoot Railway. The colliery closed in 1873 but the remains of a fine engine house and other buildings including winding houses remain. The capped top of the shaft can also be seen.
Today the site is a scheduled monument. Surface features of the colliery as well as the site of the former ironworks can be visited along the short Stepaside Ironworks Circular walk.