Grimebridge Colliery, north of Bacup in Rossendale, was a coal mine which was one of the last to close in Lancashire. Early exploitation would have been of surface excavation where the coal seams surfaced, followed by extraction using shallow bell pits. A shaft was sunk and the first drift driven at Grimebridge in 1851.
The coal produced was particularly hard and was heavily used in local mills. To provide transport to the valley bottom a tramway with chain haulage (known locally as a ginny) was constructed, some traces of which survive.
After official closure in 1962, part of the workings were later re-opened by the Clayton family who kept the mine operating on and off until 1996.