Geevor Tin Mine operated between 1911 and 1990 and was the last in a series of mines on the site which included Wheal Mexico, East Levant and North Levant. During its life, over 125 kilometres of tunnels were driven and over 50,000 tons of tin produced. By the 1980s, although reserves remained, their recovery was not economic and the mine closed.
Today the site is a scheduled monument and at the heart of the UNESCO Cornish Mining Landscape. It is also a museum, covering an area of almost 70 acres. There are extensive surface exhibits and a museum, plus visits can be made to the 18th century Wheal Mexico Drift Mine.