The London Canal Museum is situated in a warehouse and industrial facility that was originally Gatti’s Ice House.
Two large brick-lined ice wells 30 ft diameter and 42 feet deep were built between 1857 and 1862 for ice that was imported from Norway for preserving food and chilling drinks. They continued in use until at least 1904 but were redundant as methods of making ice locally were developed. A warehouse was built over the top of them (now the museum) which was used as a horse-and-cart distribution depot.
The museum is both a museum of the history of ice and canals in London. One of the wells can be viewed from within the museum.
Entrance to the museum also includes a narrow boat trip along the Regent’s Canal and through the Islington Tunnel.