Sections of the unopened Central Line extension east of Leytonstone Station were used a s an air=raid shelter in World War II. Access was from Gainsborough Road bridge via wooden staircases. Although only 350 feet had been allocated (beyond this was to be an underground aircraft factory) shelterers broke through the wire fence at the end of the allocated shelter.
Controversy broke out when the Ministry of Aircraft Production gave notice of repossession of the disputed length in February 1941. Eventually the shelterers won the argument and were allowed to remain in situ.