RAF Fearn opened in late 1941 as a satellite of RAF Tain but was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1942 as HMS Owl. It was used as a torpedo school. There are a number of ranges around the area and some of the quadrant towers and concrete arrows survive (including a “three dimensional” one). Also a concrete practice torpedo outside the museum in Portmahomack.
Many of the airfield buildings are still extant as well as the Loans Of Tullich Accommodation Camp.
The Operations Block was very overgrown until a few months ago but it is now clear of this and fully visible.
The restoration of the Control Tower was shown on a Channel 4 programme.