This four-level bunker was originally constructed by Nazi Germany as a research and prooduction site for chemical warfare. The bunker is massive, with an estimated floor area of 14,000 square metres. In particular chlorine trifluoride (known as N-stoff or substance N) was produced here. N-stoff is corrosive, inflammable and poisonous and although trials were conducted it was never used in action.
The site was overrun by the Russian Army in 1945 and the Soviets then made their own use of the site. It is believed the initial use continued as a research facility but records are sparse. Later in the 1960s a command and control centre was established at Falkenberg and major refurbishment took place. Many believe this was the most important Warsaw Pact control bunker outside the Soviet Union. The complex also housed a hospital, shops, theatres and even a sauna.
On the reunification of Germany, the site was handed back to the authorities who stripped the bunker leaving only its concrete shell behind although on a visit in 2004 there were some intact blast doors and immense diesel tanks which spanned several floors.