Easthampstead Park is a Grade II listed Victorian mansion on the edge of Bracknell in Berkshire. The estate started life as a Royal Hunting Lodge in 1350 but the current structure dates from 1864. During World War II the house was used as a school by around 600 boys from St Paul’s School in Hammersmith.
Postwar, the site was bought by Berkshire County Council and used as a female teacher training college. In 1966 the mansion was extended and the cellars were converted to become the Civil Defence Sub-County Control for Bracknell and East Berkshire. The County Control was at Shire Hall in Reading. In 1968, Easthampstead was upgraded to become the County Control.
By 1981 the 1974-built new Shire Hall basement took over as County Control and Easthampstead was downgraded to Berkshire County Standby and Bracknell Council Control, in which roles it continued until the end of the Cold War.
The cellars are still in use for a related purpose, being the headquarters of the South East Berkshire Lowland Search and Rescue - a charity which supports the police in searching for the young, old and vulnerable.