The Dark Arch is the peculiarly named subway which carries Parlington Lane beneath the lawn of Parlington Hall near Aberford. It was built so that the Gascoigne family could enjoy uninterrupted views of the countryside, unsullied by the sight of wagons transporting coal from mines elsewhere on the estate.
It was built in 1813 and extends to around 85 yards in length. A horse-drawn tramway was also built to transport coal over the three miles from Garforth to Aberford. Although this tramway ran alongside Parlington Lane for part of its route, it did not make use of the tunnel as the inclines were too steep.
The mines in the area closed in the early 1920s and the railway itself closed in 1924. Today the trackbed is a public footpath and the Dark Arch is an easy walk from Aberford.