At Cwmystwyth are located the extensive remains of an important mining complex. The main product was lead but other metals were also exploited. Records show mining was underway in 1535 but it is believed that Romans first had workings in the area - their activity largely eclipsed by later extraction.
Mining continued until 1940 and some test bores were made poist World War II. Surface remains include a dressing mill, smithy and mining office.