Crick Canal Tunnel is on the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal about half a mile east of the village of Crick. A tunnel of 964 yards was originally planned but bad ground was strcuk and so a longer bore of 1,528 yards was eventually excavated. It was completed by Benjamin Bevan in 1814.
There is no towpath through the tunnel but it is wide anough for two narrowboats to cross inside. Horses would transit on the surface, part of their route is still named ‘Boat Horse Lane’. The stretch of canal apparently carried cargo that included treacle and a local legend developed that the tunnel was, in fact, a treacle mine.