Coombe Conduit dates from 1538 and was part of a new water supply to Hampton Court Palace. Spring water was settled in the two Conduit Houses and then taken by lead pipe to the Palace. The route ws gravity fed and includes a section beneath the River Thames. The supply continued in use until 1876 when it is believed the pipes beneath the Thames were damaged.
Today the houses are protected and listed grade II*. They are opened on a regular basis on summer weekends by the Kingston upon Thames Society in association with English Heritage.