Chilmark had a number of stone quarries, whose output was used for buildings such as Salisbury Cathedral. Closing in 1935, the site was bought by the Air Ministry and used as an underground ammunition store. Surface features were also developed, including standard gauge railway sidings which branched off from the nearby Dinton Station.
A narrow gauge railway was built to extend into the former quarry, with transhipment sheds and surface storage. RAF Chilmark site closed as a depot in 1995 although site clearance continued until 1997.