This site is open to the pubic.
Developments at the site began in 500 BC as a farming settlement and expanded over time. With the arrival of the Romans in 80AD the inhabitants strengthened in the defences with two additional rings of ramparts and ditches.
The earth house was discovered during excavations between 1933 and 1952 and during that was given a concrete roof and windows to make it safe for visitors- although this does detract somewhat from the atmosphere.
It is a curved passageway about 20m long and was originally fully enclosed.
It has been suggested that it was used as a hiding place, a space for performing rituals or as a storage area for grain. Archaeological excavation has found artefacts as late as from the Roman era c AD100 but the main use of the site was much earlier for at least 700 years.