The estate was originally the grounds of the palace of the Bishop of Rochester which became was replaced by a classical builing in 1776. The ice house was built in the late 18th century out of brick with a bitumen roof and a vaulted interior. Originally it was two rectangular chambers - an unusual design only seen in 5 sites in the UK, but the division was removed in the 20th century. In the 19th century it had a summerhouse attached to it and a ha-ha.
It is Grade II listed.